Brick, A Literary Journal
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
- We welcome submissions both by mail and online through Submittable.
- Brick is open for submissions twice a year: from September 1 to October 31, and from March 1 to April 30. For 2018, we are also accepting submissions during the month of June. Mailed submissions that come to us postmarked outside these dates will not be read or returned.
- We consider only finished, polished non-fiction submissions.
- Submissions must be previously unpublished.
- We will read simultaneous submissions, but please let us know as soon as your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere.
- Please only submit one piece at a time. Please wait for our response before sending us other work to consider. Multiple submissions will be automatically rejected
- While Brick does not set a word limit, we tend towards a range of 1,000–5,000 words. Of course, rules like this were made to be broken. Whatever the length, the piece must be exemplary.
- Please allow up to six months for us to respond to your submission.
- If you would prefer to send your submission by mail, please mail it here:
P.O. Box 609, Stn P
Toronto, ON M5S 2Y4
- Please include an email address with your submission. If you would like us to respond by regular mail, or to return your manuscript, you must include a self-addressed envelope with sufficient Canadian postage.
- If you are submitting to Brickfrom the United States or from elsewhere outside of Canada, we will not be able to return your manuscript unless you include a cheque for $5.00 to cover the cost of Canadian postage.
If you’ve read our guidelines above and are ready to submit your best non-fiction to Brick, please send it through Submittable (or by mail) during our submission periods. We look forward to reading your work.